CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 3, 2011

Seasons What?!

Dear Family and Friends!
 
The leaves are beginning to change, I can't believe it's already Fall. 
So let's talk about how amazing General Conference was!  Yes, we had investigators at every session of conference!
 
D. really felt the spirit during the Saturday Morning session. He describes his experience like this;
    
"I was worrying about a bill I had received in the mail, then the thought came to me to not worry about it, it will get paid on Monday, and I should just focus on what the speakers have to say. All of a sudden a huge feeling of relief came over me, like a huge burden had been lifted."
 
I don't remember who gave the talk that talked about don't ever feel alone- it was the Saturday session, but it really hit home to him and had a really good experience with that. Inbetween conference sessions we got to have a lesson with him, we got home members who have befriended to stay for the lesson so it was really cool. By the way, his baptism date is being moved to either later this month or early November. He does his reading and comes to church but when we teach him he doesn't seem like he gives his full attention. He gets distracted easily so it's hard to teach sometimes. We just want to make sure he knows how important it is to pray, study, and be obedient to the commandments. We just want to make sure he is really ready and that with  a couple more weeks he could be there. So no baptisms this coming weekend, E.'s was moved as well-I'll get to that in a bit. D. also came to the Sunday morning session of conference, he made it to 2/4 sessions which is pretty amazing.  
 
E.- He came to two sessions of conference as well. He came to the Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning sessions. It is so wonderful because each session that each investigator attended it applied to them personally, which is what I was earnestly praying would happen. E. really enjoyed conference and the sessions he attended is exactly what he needed. So E. got a baptismal interview with the mission president on Thursday morning and President told us that we needed to put off the date for a few weeks due to some needed repentance of a past life E. has. E. understands why it has to be that way, and he knows what he needs to do. I can tell he really wants to be baptized, he is really committed and obedient to all that is asked of him. He is working things through right now, please keep him in your prayers. Again that is why conference was so amazing because the sessions he attended talked a lot on repentance and the atonement of Christ.
 
S.- she is one of our investigators who the sister missionaries have been teaching for a looooong time. She wants to be baptized, she knows the Book of Mormon is true and that Thomas S. Monson is a prophet. But here's the catch, she is super involved in the church she attends and doesn't know how to get dettached from it. She directs the choir and runs the youth program there. Also, she switched churches once before, and 30 children followed her to where she is now. She is in some sort of Protestant sect. So it's been difficult, we have tried committing her to baptism but like I said she is super linked to her church even though she knows The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is God's restored true chruch on earth today. However, she came to the last session of conference yesterday! She usually never can make it to regular Sunday meetings but always comes to general conference sessions. When Sheila walked in she brought with her around 8-12 people with her, many of them her grandchildren. It is amazing to think if we could get her baptized how many people would follow her example. We could actually have a real primary! Hahahaha. Even the session that Sheila attended, really pertained to her and her needs. She really enjoyed conference and the talks. Please keep her in your prayers as well that the Lord will provide a way for her to come into the fold of God!
 
My conference experience was wonderful, I loved hearing things in the talks that pertained to the investigators that I knew they would connect to. I would hear something and be thinking to myself, oh this could apply to D., or this could apply to so and so, it was really fun! By far it was a general conference of a lifetime for me to see it relate to not just me but those we teach. I absolutely loved all the Book of Mormon talks. Nearly every talk in conference was something I knew the world needed to hear. I wish all of our investigators could have attended general conference but 3 isn't too bad either :).  I nearly cried when Elaine S. Dalton gave her talk for Father's raising daughters. I know that I have been blessed with righteous parents who love and serve Heavenly Father the best they can daily. I thought of Dad a lot during that talk and of all the things we have done together. I remember when he used to drive me to seminary early in the morning and going on Father daughter campouts and many other memories I thought of during that talk about Fathers. Also how you serve daughters by loving their mothers, I know my parents love each other very much. I just want to give a shout out to my dad for how much he has done. Thanks Dad, you are truly are amazing!  Thank you for your faith and trust in God, thank you for being a wonderful companion to Mom and for always striving to provide and do your absolute best no matter how large or small the task may be. I love you Dad. I also thought of Mom during when the choir sang "My Heavenly Father Loves Me" and "Consider the Lilies." No I am not home sick, it just makes me appreciate how truly blessed I have been in my life to have been surrounded by such a wonderful family and parents. I am forever grateful for the blessings I have been given.
 
General Conference was the highlight of my week, the work is progressing slowly, but progressing nonetheless. We taught a few lessons this week and have many potential investigators to follow-up on. There is so much work to be done and not nearly enough time to do it all. Just gotta find a pace that works and press forward.
 
Notes: Yes I did get the package my sisters sent me, thank you! I really appreciate the letters sent as well!
 
- We have 3 down comforters in our apartment that were already here and there is also an electric blanket, so I think we're set on that.
 
-The temperature keeps dropping, I used some of my winter package items these last two days already. It has been a high of 50 or so and a low of 44 or so.
 
Yes I am freezing but the winter package has saved my life already, haha, and it's barely just scratching the surface of coldness here, oh boy!
 
- Give Scotti my love, I will keep her in my prayers!
 
- In advance, Happy Birthday Gabe! I will be thinking of you this week =)
 
-Speaking of birthdays, how was Michael's birthday? details?
 
-Oh yeah and I forgot, I am officially the designated driver which means I will be starting to have some snow driving experience pretty soon, scary!
 
I think that is everything, or at least everything I can think of right now. Enjoy the wonderful AZ heat, I would love to be there right now- well at least have the weather haha, trade ya ;) haha jk.
I have a testimony that Thomas S. Monson truly is the true and living prophet of God today as well as his apostles. I know that Joseph Smith was chosen to restore one of the greatest works and wonders of all time. I know that obedience and diligence will bring blessings without number and endow us with power to teach gospel truths to others. Never be ashamed or afraid of sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ, who cares if you get turned down.  Now is the time to be bold, who cares what people think, since when has that ever truly mattered?
 
"Remember, remember that is it not the work of God that is frustrated, but the work of men" (D&C 3:3)  And finally:
 
"Say nothing but repentance unto ths generation; keep my commandments, and assist to bring forth my work, according to my commandments, and you shall be blessed."(D&C 6:9). 
 
Remember that you are a missionary too, you need not a nametag to do missionary work. Show by example, but always be willing to open your mouth to those around you even if they steal your irrigation water ;) They are a child of God that needs the truth even if they don't know it yet themselves. Don't be afriad to be a friend to those who are less active or currently being taught by the missionaries. Love you all, thank you for all of your love, support and prayers!
 
<3
Sister Gifford

No comments:

Post a Comment