CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Transfer 8 Week 4 Update 5-29-12

Hello Everyone,
 
This past week felt like a month. We kept on having things fall through. However, there is a middle-aged lady we are teaching who has some hoarding issues and we offered to help her clean and organize her garage. We had planned on tackling the interior of the house after the garage but that never happened. So Tuesday and Wednesday mornings we helped C. with her garage for several hours each morning. Improvement was made and noticeable so that's good. 
 
Also on Tuesday, Sister Ho. and I taught the law of chastity to B. (even with the pamphlets it was still a bit awkward ha). Then on Wednesday, we taught B. and S. about tithing and after the lesson we went over the baptism interview questions after the lesson since B. will be baptized soon. (However, his baptism date has been moved from June 2 to June 16). Prior to going over the questions with B., we had given his uncle, S, a Preach My Gospel a few weeks ago to help him study his scriptures better. Well the night before we taught the tithing lesson he had gone over the baptismal interview questions as well. Alright, so as my companion and I were taking turns reading the questions I stumbled when it came to question 4 which asks if you have ever participated in an abortion or homosexual relationship. Now you have to remember that B. is extremely sheltered so he didn't know what either of those words meant and I wasn't about to explain them to him. So I phrased it as "Have you ever kissed a boy?" he was like "Heck No! That's disgusting!" I was like "Good, stay that way and don't kiss girls either," hahaha, everyone was laughing as I phrased that question and watched me stumble for the words to say before I asked it. Then in the middle of asking that question, the branch president walked in (we were at the church teaching) since we had a meeting with him after the lesson. It was really funny, gotta love the law of chastity. Makes me grateful that I don't have to ever worry about being a district leader and do baptism interviews. We met with B. and S. a couple more times that week and visited a lot of less actives. 
 
On Friday, we did another 3-way exchange. This time I stayed in Bennington and Sister Ho. went up to Lake Placid with Sister S. for the day. It was a lot of fun. I got to be with Sister L. again on this exchange which was cool. We exchanged back on Saturday at a pizza place in Glens Falls, NY. The owners of the pizza place knew the elders and just love all the missionaries so they gave us free pizza. Get this, the owners of the pizza place we met at are friends of Jimmer Freddette and are going to his wedding this coming weekend. I thought that was pretty cool. 
 
On Sunday, Sa. a less active we have been working with, came to church. It was awesome, I wasn't completely sure if she would actually show up but she did and stayed for all 3 hours. Also on Sunday, we saw B. again and taught one of the smoothest and simplest Word of Wisdom lessons I have ever taught on my mission. It was almost too easy, but B. doesn't have any WoW issues so that's a big factor. B. is coming along really well, and seems to be understanding everything and keeps coming to church. He will definitely be ready by June 16. We are also having another youth baptism on June 16 with Da. (15) who is the daughter of one of the members in the branch. We are hoping that her brother Dy. (13) will be able to be baptized as well, we just need the mother's heart to be softened a little more. So we have a definite 2 baptism for June 16 with a possible 3rd. What a wonderful work to be apart of.
 
Yesterday(Monday) there was a stake memorial day picnic near Albany that we had saved up enough miles this month we were able to go. It was so much fun, the Glenville sisters were there and several Elders from our zone. We played ultimate Frisbee and volleyball. At first ultimate just started out with missionaries playing, then other people joined in. It was a blast! Totally worth all the miles, pains, sunburns and bruises we got yesterday from it. First time I had played ultimate in a year, I can feel the burn (in more ways than one, ha). Yeah Sister Ho. and I totally forgot to bring sunscreen and now we have to put on aloe vera, haha. Never thought I would get a decent sunburn up here, never say never, ha. We had a ton of fun yesterday, and to top it off we had a cool dinner appointment with some members BBQ'ing. We were pretty wiped out from the picnic though, but still had fun. Hope everyone had a good memorial day and took a moment to think about how we got our freedom and why that became a national holiday. Much thanks to those currently serving and those who have served and given their lives honorably for this beautiful country and the cause of freedom. 
 
-Sister Stephanie Gifford

No comments:

Post a Comment