Hi everyone.
NY is still really hot and
humid, it really is a different kind of feeling than the dry heat of
the AZ desert. Yesterday it rained, very much needed but it made last
night so muggy you could see it, it looked like fog but it was the
humidity! I have never seen such a muggy night before it was crazy, at
least last night after the rain it cooled the ground to about 76. Today I
feel like its going to be hot combined with the mugginess from last
night, ew. Aside from yesterday, everything has been so dry that the
grass has been brown everywhere except for the intelligent few that
actually have sprinklers ha. It is usually more humid and wet so hardly
anyone has sprinklers therefore everything is turning brown and leaves
have even been falling from the trees because it's dying for the heat.
We were over at a less active's yesterday that said this is the worst
drought this area has had in history! Hopefully we will get rain here
too, sounds like the United States as a whole just needs rain right now.
I was so sad to hear that the Flying W Ranch burnt down in Colorado,
and of all those people who have been evacuated. I hope things are
getting more under control with those wild fires up there and I am very
grateful that I haven't heard of any fires in AZ so far this year what a
blessing!
So some people up here are taking vacay's to get out of this heat,
imagine that ha I thought the south west was the only place people
wanted to leave because of the heat, ha ha. It's worse up here though
because of the humidity, you guys have no idea or probably don't
remember how humid the east coast can be. Anyway, enough about the hot,
humid weather.
This week was pretty good, we got in contact with a recent
convert/less active guy we have been trying to catch this entire
transfer named C. He is just super busy cause he works at the
hospital in Schenectady so its hard to catch him home. He shares the
gospel with people at work and thinks that is enough to be saved without
getting the priesthood or going to church. We are trying to teach him
about enduring to the end, but somehow it doesn't sink in. On Thursday,
we taught M., our most progressing investigator and in the
beginning before we started the lesson he said that his way of thinking
and thoughts have been changing and he said he knows he is on the right
path and he is slowly recognizing the promptings of the Holy Ghost. This
week we want to try and re-invite him and commit him to be baptized. He
comes to church every Sunday, even though he goes to the other ward's
sacrament meeting because of his schedule but yesterday he came to our
ward! He stayed all 3 hours and seemed to enjoy it, the members were
really friendly and everyone was asking about who he was because he
looks like a member when he comes to church. Please pray that his heart
will continue to be softened towards being baptized and not be afraid
to endure to the end. Friday, we got to see both of our recent converts
P. and J. which went well, both of them are doing really well. I
dont know if I mentioned this last week or not but last Sunday, P.
gave an awsome talk. Really great job, especially being his second
Sunday as a member.
After seeing P. and J. on Friday, we were trying some
potentials and former investigators when we picked up a new
investigator. His name is Jo., when we knocked on his door we weren't
sure anyone was going to answer but this 6 foot something African American dude comes to the door and we introduce ourselves and ask if he
would still be interested in learning about the gospel and he was like
yeah. He grabbed a couple of chairs and we sat on his porch teaching
about the restoration of the gospel, it flowed really well and he was
like oh yeah I remember now, by the end we invited him to pray to know
the truth about what we taught and testified of. He invited us to come
back this week and hopefully that goes well, he has kids so maybe we can
teach his kids someday too and bring a family closer together :).
Saturday, we taught J.'s kids and nephews about choosing the right. We
use the primary manuals and songs and give them a treat afterward if
they are good and listen. Teaching kids is so much fun! We had one of
the kids say the prayer and started out with a follow the leader game
and applied how Jesus wants us to follow him and how can we do that, by
choosing the right. We sang Choose the Right and The Wise Man and The Foolish Man song noting that the wise man chose the right to build on the rock
so his house wouldn't fall. After the teaching portion of the lesson we
incorporated water ballons with different actions written on them and
have them figure out if its a good choice or a bad choice. If it was a
good choice they got to throw the water balloon at one of the
missionaries, and if it was a bad choice we got to throw a water balloon
at them. Hahaha the kids loved it, everyone had a lot of fun with it.
Of course, we were pretty wet and we had a dinner appointment after that,
but we dried off pretty quickly with the heat of the day and were
mostly dry by the time we got to the dinner appointment, haha. Saturday
night we got transfer calls and Sister Lov. is going to Syracuse and I
am going to Lake Placid. We leave Wednesday morning for Utica. By the way, I am
sending a big package home. So far I have heard that Lake Placid is
beautiful (although I haven't been a place in the east that isn't
beautiful), that is where they held the winter olympics, and they have a
small branch of around 20 some odd people. I also heard that the Lake
Placid apartment bathroom is dinky, I will have to take pictures so you
can see how small it is. I am also serving with Sister C. from
Riverside, California she was in my district back in Syracuse when she
served in Fayetteville. I really love Glenville. Even though I only got
to be here for 6 weeks, I loved it. I feel like I had so much more to do
and learn in this area but the Lord needs me in Lake Placid and only He
knows why. I will always remember the members and the people I met here,
I love them so much. The members of this ward are amazing and this area
is superb there is so much opportunity here just like there was in
Syracuse. I have heard many good things about Lake Placid though, I also
hear that it is super cold in the winter because it is up by Canada. I
am kinda nervous about this winter but if the Lord is sending me there
then I am trusting he will thicken my blood so I don't freeze to death
up there. Well, that is all I can write for today. Yesterday we visited
and said goodbye to people and I am mostly packed except for a few odds
and ends. To be honest, I never fully unpacked from transfering to here
which made it a little easier to pack. Well I hope that everyone stays
cool, and has a wonderful week. I will send the Lake Placid address next
week since I don't have it currently with me. So if anyone needs to
send letters please send it through the PO box
PO Box 149
Whitesboro, NY
13492
Love you all,
I
know Heavenly Father is mindful of you and each one of us and he will
not forsake us if we will put our trust in him he will hear and answer
our prayers.
p.s. sorry no pictures this week I will see what the library
is like in Lake Placid next week and hopefully it lets me download and
send pictures in emails.
-Sister Gifford




No comments:
Post a Comment