CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, July 23, 2012

Transfer 9 Week 6 Update 7-23-12

Hello everyone!
So transfers were Wednesday and this week has been pretty crazy and felt really long with all the change that has happened. I've been in Lake Placid now for 5 and a half days. Lake Placid is absolutely beautiful, best part is it not even half as humid as my other areas. Lower humidity makes all the difference with heat, so it's been perfect weather ever since I got here. It has been in the 70's mostly and breezy since I've been here. Lake Placid has been a bustle this past weekend because the iron man was going on, it's a pretty big deal around here. I hear that the Iron Man in Lake Placid is the toughest in the country they had to bike over 100 miles swim 26 miles and run around 70 miles it started at 6am yesterday and went until midnight, pretty intense. The terrain around here is exteremly hilly and windy so I'm sure there will be a lot of sore people today and for the next few days ha. The iron man is said to have brought around 10,000+ people to the area. It's been fun to see all the byclcists, and runners all prepping for it over the last few days. 
 
I'm companions with Sister C. who came out a transfer after I did and served in Fayetteville when I was in Syracuse so we have been in the same district and we have done exchanges over the past several  months. We get along pretty well, I've really been blessed with great companions so far on my mission, for which I am extremely grateful for. The apartment is small, but cozy. It has it's own washer and dryer in the apartment which is amazing that we don't have to pay for laundry, that will save a ton of money. I was so stoked I nearly knelt and kissed the ground when I saw it, haha, not really but that's how it felt. The shower is small but it's managable, it is probably 20 in x 20 in, no exaggerations. It's interesting. The apartment we have is off of a part member family's home, it used to be their garage but they turned it into a apartment for missionaries to use. So it's almost like living with members, but not quite. As far as teaching goes, we have 5 people that we are teaching but a lot of them are out of town right now which makes things a little more difficult but that's okay hopefully things will get back into swing when they come back from their vacations. Yesterday I went to church and there were 17 people there, and that is most of the branch. I was told there were a few people missing, two families which make up the rest of the branch and put it up to 25 people on a regular Sunday. Those two families also give the branch their whole primary which was non-existent yesterday since they were out of town. I think perhaps this is one of the smallest branches in the mission from what I have gathered. There are some great people in the branch though, and they are eager to learn how to do missionary work. Oh and we also have a senior couple in Lake Placid, the Os, they were assigned to work with less actives but they also proselyte just like we do and they even made their own area book since there weren't any prior senior couples here before. The Os go tracting, have investigators they teach, and work with less actives. I have never seen old people work so hard as if they were younger missionaries. It's cool to have that extra effort in the area though, it needs every bit of missionary effort put in here. 
 
So I'm pretty settled in, and things are going pretty good. We are working hard to balance our teaching and finding and help the members become better missionaries themselves. Much work to be done in this area and Heavenly Father has His hand in each day. I hope everyone has a wonderful week. 
 
Lake Placid address
319 Old Military Rd
Lake Placid, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment